We may earn money on products from the companies mentioned in this post.
HostGator powers over 2 million websites worldwide, making it a popular web hosting solution. The highlights of HostGator are its great price value, dependable customer support, and user-friendliness.
However, like any other hosting service, HostGator also has some drawbacks. In this article, we’ll look at the key benefits and downsides of HostGator to help you find out if it’s the right fit for your needs. With that out of the way, let’s dive in.
A Quick Overview of HostGator
HostGator is a popular web hosting company that got into the business in 2002. It’s a Houston-based web hosting service that deals with a range of hosting services including shared hosting, VPS hosting, and dedicated server hosting. That said, HostGator is owned by the Endurance International Group (the same parent company that owns Bluehost web hosting).
HostGator has been regarded as an excellent web hosting service by authoritative review organizations like PCMag and powers 2 million domains as of today. Among the different types of hosting services available at HostGator, shared hosting is the most popular one as its pricing is the lowest.
The hosting plans at HostGator start from $2.75/mo and go all the way up to $5.25/mo. However, these are the introductory prices available with long-term subscriptions only. Overall, HostGator provides a good value for money by offering powerful features like a free domain name and SSL certification.
HostGator Pros and Cons
Here we’ll look at the main benefits and downsides of HostGator.
The top advantages of HostGator are as follows:
- – HostGator provides a good value for money to users by offering remarkable hosting services at affordable prices.
- – HostGator features a 1-click WordPress installation for the convenience of users.
- – HostGator has a generous unlimited policy that applies to bandwidth and storage with all shared plans.
- – If you have an existing website, HostGator is happy to help transfer it to their hosting server for free.
- – HostGator’s server uptime is guaranteed at 99.99% to get you peace of mind, knowing your site will be available round-the-clock.
- – HostGator’s plans are optimized for creating online stores as they offer various eCommerce features right out of the box.
- – HostGator provides users with access to cPanel for free. It’s the traditional web hosting control panel that’s user-friendly, easy to navigate, and powerful.
- – Each shared plan of HostGator offers unlimited professional email accounts for free. So businesses can create various email accounts for all employees.
The main disadvantages of HostGator are as follows:
- – HostGator’s customer support is available through various channels but is sometimes slow to respond.
- – In case you choose to restore your data backups, HostGator charges an extra fee.
- – The renewal prices of HostGator are higher than the discounted initial rates.
- – HostGator is still using the traditional HDD storage drives in its servers whereas even cheaper hosting solutions like Hostinger have moved over to speedy SSD drives.
Is HostGator the Right Web Hosting for You?
HostGator is a powerful hosting solution powering 2 million websites worldwide. However, it doesn’t suit the requirements of everyone because of the certain limitations it comes it.
For instance, we don’t recommend it to users looking for blazing-fast performance since HostGator is still using the traditional HDD drives which leads to poor performance (compared to the recent SSD drives). However, HostGator is still perfect for most users – including bloggers and personal website owners.